Due to the fact that not everyone absorbs zinc in the same way and in equal amounts and that zinc is not stored by your body, supplements are highly recommended.
There are some groups of people who are more at risk of zinc deficiency than others. They include:
- Vegetarians and vegans
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women
- Older infants who are exclusively breastfed
- People with sickle cell anaemia
- People who are malnourished
- People who abuse alcohol
- People with chronic kidney disease
Zinc is needed in various processes in your body and plays an important role as an antioxidant, in DNA synthesis and in growth and development. That is why you should always remember to eat plenty of foods rich in zinc or use dietary supplements.